"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go"


Thursday, February 10, 2011

California (Surf City Marathon) 2-6-11

What a perfect time to throw a California marathon into the schedule. While most of the country was dealing with the snow, ice, and cold (including Houston) we were in sunny California walking down the beach watching the surfers and people on the beach playing volleyball. The mornings were cool and the afternoons warmed up to the low 70's.

This was one of the first marathons that we decided to stay at the host hotel and we were glad we did. We literally walked out the front door of the hotel and there was the start and finish lines. The expo was also right across the street so once we were at the hotel we were there for the weekend and never had to use the car. Huntington Beach is such a neat town which is very laid back with lots of great places to eat. The expo was well done with lots of exihibitors and some that I haven't seen at other expo's.

As far as the race it was very well done and the course is very flat. There are alot of long straight aways which makes it a little boring but you are by the beach for most of it so that's not too bad. There were alot of Marathon Maniacs there so I was able to see some friends I already knew and had the chance to meet new ones. Wendy rented a bike and was able to ride the course during the race and we were able to see each other a bunch of times. I know I have said this before but she is so supportive and I really enjoy having her out on the course. After the race it was nice to be at the hotel where I could clean up, have a couple of beers, relax, and watch the Superbowl. Overall this was a fun race and one that I would recommend to others. The medal is one of my favorites which is a surfboard.

Next up for me will be on the east coast at Myrtle Beach, SC. Last year I tried to run this race but it was cancelled due to snow. So far the weather forecast looks much better so it should be a good race. It will be my 50th marathon so a little milestone for me. Hope everyone is doing ok, and I will update everyone after Myrtle Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment