"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go"


Monday, October 4, 2010

New York (Wineglass Marathon) 10/3/10

You have to love fall marathons and this was a great one. We flew into Cleveland and instead of flying closer to the race we decided to drive and take in all the fall scenery and the changing of the leaves. Living in Texas we don't get to see this and it was amazing. It was about a 4 1/2 hour drive each way but it was well worth it. The race was a point to point which started in Bath, NY and finished in Corning NY. The packet pickup was in Corning and it was such a neat little town. The people were so friendly and they have a glass museum that is just amazing. The things that people make with glass is unbelievable.

Race morning was a cool 44 deg and it felt great. The course was mostly flat to a slight downhill with just a few small climbs. Most of the course went through the wine country with some miles through towns along the way. The colors of the trees were amazing and if you took all that in and not just focus on the running you were in for a real treat. Overall I had a really good run until my knee starting bothering me around mile 20. The week before we were in Hawaii snorkeling and I was out for a morning run when I was running downhill on the backside of Diamond Head when I took a fall and bruised up my knee, elbow and a few other scratches. The knee had been feeling better but it started to get sore on the run. I finished with a 3:48 so all in all not much to complain about. I know I have said this alot with other marathons but this is one worth looking at. These small town marathons have so much more to offer than the big races. They are so much more personable and offer far more.

This was my 40th marathon and 26th State that I have completed. Next up is another double, Indianapolis & Columbus in two weeks so I will rest up a little for that. Until then I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying whatever they may have going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment